What does Average dry weight mean?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

serpa4

What does Average dry weight mean?

#1 Post by serpa4 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Average dry weight 1090 lbs. https://www.suntrackerboats.com/boat/sp ... ?boat=4225
I have a 2017 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy DLX 16 with a 40hp Mercury BF.
Everything I have read keeps saying average dry. Does that include a motor?
If it does, it's likely the 10-15 hp I guess.
I pulled the very heavy trolling motor (55 lbs thrust), the front bass fishing seats, and the 2nd battery out. I don't fish. However, I wanted a nice light and small pontoon for my wife and I that a 2.0L 4 cylinder could pull. My previous boat was a 2004 Glastron 175 SX with 135 hp. It was about 2050 lbs.

TWB

Re: What does Average dry weight mean?

#2 Post by TWB » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:35 am

I've heard that term before also and so today I Googled it. Found a thread on HullTruth talking about it. As many different interpretations of the meaning as there were responses. It seems to mean different things depending on what company/ boat/ captain you talk to. The general consensus seemed to be the weight from the factory with no custom add-ons, no motor, and no fluids.

I felt like I had resolved nothing when I left there. :donno
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

riplipper

#3 Post by riplipper » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:31 am

TWB wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:35 am
I've heard that term before also and so today I Googled it. Found a thread on HullTruth talking about it. As many different interpretations of the meaning as there were responses. It seems to mean different things depending on what company/ boat/ captain you talk to. The general consensus seemed to be the weight from the factory with no custom add-ons, no motor, and no fluids.
I felt like I had resolved nothing when I left there. :donno
My understanding has always been that it is the boat without the motor.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:09 am

That's one of those terms that there doesn't really seem to be a standard answer for. I've always believed it did include the motor.

The only true way to get an accurate weight of your rig is to weigh it. You can do so at just about any truck stop or any other suitable scales you can find nearby. If you have a trailer, hook your rig up and head to the scales. Weigh your entire setup (including the tow vehicle). Then drive back through the scales, unhook your trailer and drive away, to get an accurate weight on the trailer/boat combo. You can usually find the weight of your trailer online to end up with a net weight of your boat and everytyhing onboard.

I did that when I had my 19' Sea Ray. The listed dry weight was around 2700 lbs (which included the i/o), but my boat with all the normal stuff onboard actually weighed almost 3200.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia