Trolling motor

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Gonefishing

Re: Trolling motor

#16 Post by Gonefishing » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:34 pm

I have a 23 foot pontoon. Installed a new Minnkota ultra on it 24 volt, 80 pound trust. Works great the one I purchased was expensive but I love it has auto pilot, anchor mode, trail mode. Auto stow and deploy with a bad back and leg problems it is great. I can fish an area set the track and re fish the same area with the push of a button. I can fish an area use anchor mode and not have to mess with dropping an anchor. Toon stays in the anchor spot without a problem. Another great feature is the auto pilot.

Mine is 60 inch shaft, 24 volt I also purchased a Minnkota charger, two interstate batteries did the install myself without a problem.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

boocat

#17 Post by boocat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:32 am

parker23

#18 Post by parker23 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:28 am

So what you're saying is any group 27 deep cycle battery will work for me because when I use the trolling motor I will be using it for a while probably two or three hours every day
1996 180CC off shore 125 Force [sold]
2000 1801CC Parker 115 yamaha [sold]
2008 2320SL Parker sport cabin 250 yamaha four stroke [sold]
2018 22ft Aurora Manitou 115 E-tec

parker23

#19 Post by parker23 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:32 am

Bobcat u have nice unit but I have to get the saltwater version but I like the Stop and the GPS system but with the batteries I just want to make sure I'm getting the right ones for what I want to do

boocat

#20 Post by boocat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:22 am

Definitely the salt water version for salt use... Don't know about your situation with current and wind but I would think with normal Conditions ?? The 80 would be a reasonable place to start but I have seen in some parts of the states some pretty tough currents on salt water. Do lots of research , after using my 68 lb for several hours in one day I was still showing 4 bars on the built in battery checker and that's on a calm lake but that I'm sure is a pretty vague indicator but it made me feel positive about 2 days of solid use before charging even though I can charge daily at the dock if I have power.

Now about that " can't charge at the dock if you have a pontoon or it will cause damage" that you were told??? It's true I have no pontoon salt water experience so things may be different but I do have many years on the salt with fiberglass,, boats ranging from 20 ft up to 55 Hatteras and Bertram. Electrolysis is an evil thing and I've seen the damage but if all things are good with anodes ( which you have on the motor ) and all good with all electrical equipment no stray currents or stray currents from
Nearby boats and or defective dock power,, I'm thinking there shouldn't be a problem.. That's a lot of ifs,,, but on a maintained
boat there were no problems..familiarize yourself with the sacrificial anodes. ( zincs) but some are not zinc,, just a generic term. Are you going to be in the water full time? If so, you will need to keep an eye on these things anyway charging or not. And I would suppose anodes could simply be added to the toons if needed but like I said I have no knowledge of toons and salt other than the obvious.

boocat

#21 Post by boocat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:43 am

Marc K

#22 Post by Marc K » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:26 pm

This thread has made me curious.
How many years are folks getting from their wet cell (standard deep cycle flooded) batteries in trolling applications.
What brand?

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

Oldchuck

#23 Post by Oldchuck » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Marc speaks volums in what he said. He knows his batteries.
For a weekend recreational user with running mostly at 1/2 power having two large AMG's or even large wet cells does not make much sense. I am partial to Odysseys batteries as I feel their quality has been better than Optimas during the past 5-10 years. They are more expensive than your everyday battery but when you look at the plate type and size you can see why however you need to access as Marc said if you will benefit from those advantages...
Bobcat is wise in his selection of two wet cell 27's given a draw similar to what Marc mentioned. He can replace batteries n 5-7 years if he keeps them charged and he will be far ahead .

boocat

#24 Post by boocat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:43 pm

HA, I'm not too sure about the wise part but I do try to keep them healthy.

wahoomon

#25 Post by wahoomon » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 am

I do use the Minn Kota Rip tide salt water 55lb thrust-co-pilot.. I have a quick release bracket mounted on the front of my 21' Premier.
I use a separate battery to run it and can control the motor from anywhere on the vessel via a remote control.
It moves the boat real good in my saltwater areas in south and the west coast of Florida windy or not it does a great job.

parker23

#26 Post by parker23 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:23 pm

wahoomon do u know your boat weigh with motor and grear I have 22ft Manitou with 115etec not sure what trolling motor to 55 or 80LBS thrust

Oldchuck

#27 Post by Oldchuck » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:34 am

Parker,
I got to thinking about what your dealer said about electrolysis and not being able to charge while on the water. In theory he may have a concern but in practical application I agree with Mark. Any time you have a stray current leeching into the water it is a bad situation but that may not be happening. I spent many years in SE Alaska and many harbors there are called "hot" because of the stray leeching currents and many of the fishing boats are aluminum. What Mark stated about using anodes or zincs it true and will protect your vessel but as he also said you need to be aware of where they are and their condition which is a common check point on most boats in hot harbors.. You can also have an electrician check your slip for stray current to see if you or someone near is leeching current into the water. If you are on a lift and can get the lift completely out of the water than you have less to worry about unless you have metal support poles going into the water but most have wood.
I would just get familiar with your anode positions and their condition. From time to time check them out like you would any maintenance item on a boat, Adding an anode or two to any aluminum resting in the water is a good safety precaution. The anodes will tell you if you have a problem as you will notice them being eaten up like acid was poured on them. This is what they are supposed to do. They are a lower metal and will be attacked BEFORE the boats' hull. If that happens then find out what is leeching into the water and change anodes....Not a big issue and common on salt water with Metal boats...

boocat

#28 Post by boocat » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:41 am

just my opinion, a 55 on a 22ft sure sounds light to me.

parker23

#29 Post by parker23 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:33 am

Thanks oldchuck bobcat I thought that too I think I'm going to go with the 80 I'm on wonding which brand battery to get and group 27 or 31

Oldchuck

#30 Post by Oldchuck » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:58 am

Parker,
There are only a handful of companies that make batteries and several companies will put their names on the same battery.
I would figure how many amp hours you need by what you motor uses at 1/2 and full power and access what you will need.
Once there, I would look for batteries that will provide that draw with a small cushion. Battery group or overall size may be determined by how much area you have to put the battery. Once you know how big a battery you intend to put into your vessel you just need to figure out what make. Since numerous batteries are made by the same company and if two makes were the same amp rating then being old school I would always take the heaviest battery. Lead is lead and usually the more powerful battery is the heaviest. Old school straight lead acid is the cheapest and if your batteries are not going to fall over or take an extreme beating then they will be your best bang for the buck. After that the AMG's then the exotics but as has been described here you seldom get your money back on the most expensive. If you are not doing commercial work they usually do not pay. Yes a battery like the Trojan 8D, run in series will run and last a long time but given the size and expense for a weekend person just not worth the expense or hassle in mounting and moving...