New Carpet without Glue???

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

MooseRiver

New Carpet without Glue???

#1 Post by MooseRiver » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi All,

I am new here; thanks for all the great information. I am replacing the carpet on my 2005 Premier Leisure 21SS and, as expected, the backing and glue aren't coming up very easily. I see all the sound advice out here to sand first or put down new decking, but I also saw a few people say they just put new carpet down over the backing/glue and forget about it. I'm really trying to avoid the sanding work (or putting new decking down), as I have a lot of other things to do and want to get the boat back in the water by April. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with "not glueing" the carpet? I'm figuring, worse case, I have to clear the deck again and sand or put new decking down 5-10 years out? Alternatively, what would happen if I put marine glue down right on top of the old backing glue? Would it help at all, or make things worse? Again, I know this goes against all the expert advice out here, but I'm trying to save both time and money, on a "not so new" pontoon.

Thanks for any insight y'all can provide!

steve1313

Re: New Carpet without Glue???

#2 Post by steve1313 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:14 am

Only you can decide what's "good enough" for your situation. With that being said, I'd worry that over time the new carpet would slip in spots and you have small areas that could become trip hazards. It doesn't take much of an lump in a carpet to catch a foot or stub a toe.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Coldbrew

#3 Post by Coldbrew » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:00 am

This may or may not be what you're looking for and not knowing what type of carpet you want to put down I can't say it's even possible, but I have "seagrass" carpet in my boat that's held down with snaps. Snaps are not hard to install so maybe it's the way to go.

Good Luck :thumbsup
2014 Premier Gemini 201
Tow Vehicle: 2019 F-150
Home Port: Newfound Lake, NH

guy48065

#4 Post by guy48065 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:57 am

Coldbrew wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:00 am
...I have "seagrass" carpet in my boat that's held down with snaps. Snaps are not hard to install so maybe it's the way to go.
I like the sound of that but I haven't been to any dealers or boat shows to see what this looks like.
What's beneath your fence rails if they're not bolted through the carpet in the usual way?
Do you have snaps at the doorways or a threshold strip like you find in homes?
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

sunedog

#5 Post by sunedog » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:21 am

I tore off the carpet on my former Bennington. It was original to the boat and was about 12 years old at the time. It left a lot of glue residue. I spent an hour or two with a Porter Cable random orbital sander using 60 grit disks to get most of the glue off. I wasn't anal about it, but was aiming to take out any significant protrusions above the surface of the plywood and generally make the surface smooth. I replaced the carpet with vinyl (the thick stuff) from pontoonstuff.com using their recommended adhesive. It came out great. Pontoonstuff.com is great to deal with. Excellent customer service.

Coldbrew

#6 Post by Coldbrew » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:18 pm

guy48065 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:57 am
Coldbrew wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:00 am
...I have "seagrass" carpet in my boat that's held down with snaps. Snaps are not hard to install so maybe it's the way to go.
I like the sound of that but I haven't been to any dealers or boat shows to see what this looks like.
What's beneath your fence rails if they're not bolted through the carpet in the usual way?
Do you have snaps at the doorways or a threshold strip like you find in homes?
I have a vinyl floor. My carpet doesn't cover the entire area. (see pic attached) That's why I wasn't sure it would work in your case.
20140405_110535a.jpg
20140405_110535a.jpg (267.67 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
2014 Premier Gemini 201
Tow Vehicle: 2019 F-150
Home Port: Newfound Lake, NH

Crab Island Cruiser

#7 Post by Crab Island Cruiser » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:49 am

I just finished up installing infinity Seagrass on my boat last month. I pulled the old carpet off and spent a few hours sanding. I ended up flipping 4 of the 5 sheets of decking. I used aat 390 adhesive that infinity recommended. Worked out great. Lot of work.

If I can figure out how to post pics on here I'll make a thread.
07 22' Sun Chaser
Yami F115 power
low and slow