Pontoon in salt water: anodes & bottom paint

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

MattGent

Pontoon in salt water: anodes & bottom paint

#1 Post by MattGent » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:32 pm

I'll be moving my pontoon to a tidal brackish creek in South Florida, where it will live at a dock behind the house. The salinity at this location ranges from 10-20PSU; the adjacent river a mile downstream is close to 35 (ocean water).

What are your experiences with anodes and bottom paint?

I know I'll need a non-copper anti-fouling. Open to your feedback and experiences on what to pick here. I'd be prepping and applying it myself. It may spend weeks or months at a time sitting dry on the trailer, which some paints don't like. Trailer has plastic pads that the hull sits against. The pontoons are currently unpainted but do have some calcium buildup at the waterline.

Each toon hull has a bracket at the bottom aft corner that I can bolt an anode to. I'm considering a pair of these: https://performancemetals.com/collectio ... disc-anode . I'll leave an un-painted area for them to contact. Any reason not to use a 316 Stainless bolt? If not, what else could I use to secure it? Could find an aluminum bolt, or maybe even nylon. Could use nylon washers between the SS washerfaces of the nut and the bolt and the corresponding Aluminum.

I shouldn't have any worry about loose electrical fields in the area.

Thanks for sharing your experience and any advice

Matt

Gonefishing

Re: Pontoon in salt water: anodes & bottom paint

#2 Post by Gonefishing » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:31 am

I have anodes on mine both on the motor and on the toons. They are bolted on a bracket on the toons which is also used for the fish finder transducer and bait tank pump. Mine it’s used in saltwater all the time. Live on the coast in Nc. Use to keep it docked during the summer but have since started trailering it back and forth. Had my tones painted lasted about 3 years before needing to be repainted. All I can tell you is make sure you rinse it off good after each use and flush the motor. Salt will destroy the boat if not given extra care. Don’t forget the trailer.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

riplipper

#3 Post by riplipper » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:20 am

Mine is on a trailer but always used in salt water.
Put Sharkhide on every bit of exposed metal and if possible spray it where you cannot reach. It REALLY helps prevent corrosion.
I am not anode expert but I know there are different types of metals for anodes and some may be better for Aluminum???? I don't really know and don't really know if it makes a huge difference.
I have them on mine but have no idea what they are made of.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

TWB

#4 Post by TWB » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:55 am

riplipper wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:20 am
Mine is on a trailer but always used in salt water.

don't really know if it makes a huge difference.

I have them on mine but have no idea what they are made of.
For saltwater the anodes are generally zinc, but I have read that aluminum is also being used. The tell in what difference it makes is to look at any corrosive metal that is not protected (dock electrical ground rod maybe). You'll see a difference. Freshwater anodes are generally magnesium, again, from what I've read.

Some folks say replace zincs every year or so. Don't know about that. I am finishing year two on the zincs currently on my boat - little sign of wear yet.

:2cents
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

riplipper

#5 Post by riplipper » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:28 am

TWB wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:55 am
riplipper wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:20 am

Some folks say replace zincs every year or so. Don't know about that. I am finishing year two on the zincs currently on my boat - little sign of wear yet.
:2cents
Yeah, I have heard that as well and I call bullshit on that one. Why would you need to replace something that has 90% or more of its metal left? Frankly, I have never replaced any anodes on any boat I have ever had and have not had any issues. I have replaced outboard zincs a few times when eaten up. who knows, maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Mine are probably zinc since I purchased the boat at a mostly salt water dealership.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

zoom650

#6 Post by zoom650 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:50 pm

My engines were run in salt over 100 hours per year, and I think I replaced a couple of annodes after 6 or 7 years. They were pitted badly.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

FogHorn

#7 Post by FogHorn » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:42 am

The maintenance manuals I’ve read suggest to replace zincs when they are 50% consumed.
2015 SouthBay 522FRC w/ F150 Yamaha
1983 Conroy X18 w/ Volvo 125 I/O