Anode : Where Should It Be Placed on Log?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

SuperNoob

Anode : Where Should It Be Placed on Log?

#1 Post by SuperNoob » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:03 am

Hello,

First time posting on the board. Sorry it's a question asking for help.
But to be honest, I'm such a noob that I probably wouldn't be able to offer any help when it comes to boats as you will tell by my question.

I have a Sunsetter Bass Buggy 18.
It's always stored out of the water and only has Anodes for the motor.

In the upcoming month the boat will be sitting in water for 30 days.
The logs do not have bottom paint and I plan to put some Anodes.

I was told to place the Anodes BENEATH the Water Line.
The issue I'm experiencing is that one of the logs doesn't have a place to drill beneath the water line.
I was told about the Hanging Anodes by attaching them to the cleats, but I'm unsure how this is suppose to help when I'm supposed to put Anodes beneath the water line. :donno

In the picture below it illustrates how my boat is structured.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thank you,
Rolando
Sunsetter Bass Buggy 18

zoom650

Re: Anode : Where Should It Be Placed on Log?

#2 Post by zoom650 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:28 am

No picture to show you, but my toon has a bracket at the bottom of the tube (below the waterline) for anodes and depth sounders. You need one anode per log. Your engine should already have a couple of anodes, one or two near the prop, and one on the engine mount bracket on your transom.

Do not hang from your cleat .. won't do a thing to help you. Get a bracket welded on. By the way, 30 days in fresh water probably won't do much to hurt your hull. Salt is a different matter.

Do some net searches on anodes and hydrolysis.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

bansil

#3 Post by bansil » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:20 am

I wouldn't drill log personally, get a bracket welded onto back of each log. Is this salt or fresh? We keep ours in fresh 51 weeks a year, 1 week out to power wash logs, rinse and repeat, no anodes.
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

Rick McC.

#4 Post by Rick McC. » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:10 pm

bansil wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:20 am
I wouldn't drill log personally, get a bracket welded onto back of each log. Is this salt or fresh? We keep ours in fresh 51 weeks a year, 1 week out to power wash logs, rinse and repeat, no anodes.
Same here.

Ours only has motor anodes. It stays at the dock year round, unless a hurricane’s coming. We’re on pretty fresh water, though the ‘toon is used in the Gulf pretty much every time it leaves the dock.

We’ve never had any corrosion problems with this or the other three ‘toons we’ve had over the last 23+ years, and all lived in the water, at that same dock.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

boocat

#5 Post by boocat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:27 pm

BobL

#6 Post by BobL » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:13 pm

SuperNoob wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:03 am
I was told about the Hanging Anodes by attaching them to the cleats, but I'm unsure how this is suppose to help when I'm supposed to put Anodes beneath the water line.
They probably meant to hang it from a rear cleat and rig/hang it so it is touching the pontoon and beneath the water line - this would be temporary. On my toon, I could hang it from a cleat and wrap it in such a way that it would keep in touch with the toon. You can untie it when underway.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but many of the toons I have seen only have on anode. I assume that since the toons are connected with channel, the anode is protecting the entire boat (it is one continuous "circuit").

PS....Make sure you get the right anode (zinc, aluminum, or magnesium) based on the water you are in.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury