Replacing thermostat...i think it was time

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

Re: Replacing thermostat...i think it was time

#16 Post by onlybillhere » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:56 am

UPDATE: guy just called to come pick my boat up.....it's still not fixed and they have no idea what's causing the issue. The good thing is that they are not charging me for any of the work. So back to finding another shop to work on it...this sucks
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

curtiscapk

#17 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:34 am

WTF! WEIRD..... Good Luck! :? :?
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

onlybillhere

#18 Post by onlybillhere » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:44 am

So last night I finally get to mess with the motor after getting it back from the boat mechanic. It runs ROUGH now....and there is a knocking sound. Mind you the motor was running well before, just the loss of rpm's, but it was running good. Just so happened I had 3 new coils to replace the original ones...well that didn't work. So I have a motor that runs worse than when I dropped it off....I'm not too happy about this
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

TWB

#19 Post by TWB » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:33 pm

onlybillhere wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:44 am
So last night I finally get to mess with the motor after getting it back from the boat mechanic. It runs ROUGH now....and there is a knocking sound. Mind you the motor was running well before, just the loss of rpm's, but it was running good. Just so happened I had 3 new coils to replace the original ones...well that didn't work. So I have a motor that runs worse than when I dropped it off....I'm not too happy about this
Holy shit, Bill! Did you run it right back to him? That's just ridiculous. Sorry you're having so much trouble, man.

Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

onlybillhere

#20 Post by onlybillhere » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:13 am

TWB wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:33 pm
Holy shit, Bill! Did you run it right back to him? That's just ridiculous. Sorry you're having so much trouble, man.
I just didn't want to deal with them anymore, caught some attitude from one of the guys because it was there for 2 weeks and they couldn't fix it...like that's my fault how? They didn't charge me which is good but it will probably cost me.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

onlybillhere

#21 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:36 am

Boat is going in this friday to a new mechanic....fingers crossed!!
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

onlybillhere

#22 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:16 am

So I got a call from the boat mechanic...he asks me who adjusted the carbs. I told him the previous shop said my carbs were out of sync and they adjusted them. Well I guess they "synced" them so well that cylinder 1 & 3 were so far out and cylinder 2 was the only one that was working "right", or close to right. Spark plugs 1 & 3 were were clean as a whistle and 2 was the only one with some signs of use. That would explain why the motor ran and sounded so horrible after I got the boat back form the first shop. So fingers crossed I might have my boat back this weekend to test out.

So many people thought it was fuel related and if it turns out this fixes it I'll be happy (to be honest I have that feeling it's still gonna run at 4k rpm cause it doesn't make sense) but still bewildered on how it happened. You are going WOT, everything just fine, then a tug on the boat (like an impact almost) then drop to 4K rpm and never increases after that. So how did the carbs go from running fine to out of sync all of the sudden? Just doesn't make any sense.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

TWB

#23 Post by TWB » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:34 am

It's the Covid, Bill. It's just the Covid.

Good luck.
Paul & Michele
2003 Mercury 75hp

onlybillhere

#24 Post by onlybillhere » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:27 pm

picking up the boat today and gonna run it right over to the river and test her out...fingers crossed!
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

curtiscapk

#25 Post by curtiscapk » Mon May 03, 2021 7:48 am

:scared :scared :scared :scared :scared :scared :scared :scared
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

onlybillhere

#26 Post by onlybillhere » Mon May 03, 2021 8:46 am

soooooooo...took the boat out right after I picked it up friday. ran good, hit around 5000rpms so that;s good, topped out at 19mph based on phone gps app. drove around for about 15 minutes then all of the sudden out of no where the motor hesitated then shut right off. I checked to make sure there was still oil in the reservoir and there was. what's odd is the guy who worked on it said he felt that the exhaust could be getting into the carbs. he said if there was an issue take the cover off, let it sit for a minute to get fresh air back in. so i did that, and it started back up, so i ran it with the cover off for a little bit and it worked. after that i took the boat back to the ramp so not to take a chance of getting stuck out on the water.

now a couple things i noticed about the motor....it sounds different. like different than it did when it was running fine. I can't put my finger on what the actual sound change is but just sounds different. He also got the idle back down to around 700-800rpm. it always idled high, around 1100-1200. since the idle is lower the motor shakes more...like much more. I know I have to replace the bearings on the motor mount (the part that it turns on)...ordering the parts today. And my damn voltage regulator went out while on the river (2nd one in 2 years). I have the marine batteries from Walmart, looks like I need to replace them with the regular lead-acid batteries from what I am understanding about those voltage regulators.

So all in all the motor is running back where it should, now just gotta fix the next weakest links in the system. Ah, owning a boat is so relaxing.......................
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

TWB

#27 Post by TWB » Wed May 05, 2021 5:31 am

onlybillhere wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:46 am

So all in all the motor is running back where it should, now just gotta fix the next weakest links in the system. Ah, owning a boat is so relaxing.......................
Glad you're able to get wet again, but hate you're still having gremlins. I know it's a suck thought, but - it sounds like you're getting close to having a gas-powered anchor.

There is a fine line between "relaxing" and "passing out!" :drink :drunks

Good luck, man.
Paul & Michele
2003 Mercury 75hp

onlybillhere

#28 Post by onlybillhere » Wed May 05, 2021 10:51 am

at a certain point I know that putting more and more money into a 1995 motor isn't smart, however any other used motor I run the same risk...and affording let alone finding a new motor to buy is just crazy. I just want to be able to take the boat out on the water and not have to worry about anything even if it's just for a couple hours....is that too much to ask??
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me