Hi from Western NY

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

John Pen

Hi from Western NY

#1 Post by John Pen » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:48 pm

Hi all, been a lurker here for a few weeks. Had no intention of buying a boat, let alone a pontoon boat, but the deal fell into our hands that we couldn’t turn down. An older gentleman around the corner had an old pontoon buried in the weeds. I briefly mentioned if he was interested in selling it to let me know. He called the next day and wanted to know what we were doing with the pontoon . We did a little searching and figured the boat to be worth about 3000. Not being really interested, we figured we just offer him 1000 and that would be the end of it. Well lo and behold, he took it. We now find ourselves to be the owners of a 1988 Lowe 18 foot pontoon boat, a 1995 Mariner 30 horse motor and a trailer. With little ado, we got the motor running. The steering was froze, I got that working also. We are now in the middle of replacing the transom. The rest of the boat and trailer are in fair condition. Our idea is to see if we like it, run it for the rest of the summer as it is, and if all goes well and we like it, to redo the deck and interior over the winter. Got lots of great ideas from here. Wondering what I got myself into LOL

TWB

Re: Hi from Western NY

#2 Post by TWB » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:20 am

Hey, John. Welcome to the forum officially. We went with the same thought when we bought our toon - clean it up enough to use for one season, then rebuild. We were fortunate enough to get it really clean, and got 2 years out of it before pulling the trigger this year. With the right products and a bit of elbow grease, you might be very pleasantly surprised at how clean it'll get.

Good luck with it and post before & after pics along the way!

-Paul

http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25263
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife