HI! Brand new here with a brand new Party Barge!

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Eat'n Float

HI! Brand new here with a brand new Party Barge!

#1 Post by Eat'n Float » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi everyone! We're new here. New pontoon. Heck new to boating period! Bought her on July 10 and so far have had two great, (mostly) gorgeous weekends. Have had a few minor mishaps: 1st day - maiden voyage - caught in a storm (lightning is not my favorite); 2nd day - daughter rushed by ambulance to ER for yellow jacket sting (she's fine); 3rd day - ripped the trailer lights off getting the boat out of the water AND the trailer ladder dented the truck. Let's hope the worst is past us! Oh - and we just got so lucky this week, and happened on an ad for a covered boat slip w/lift at a private home for a bargain basement price, taking possession this weekend! Yay us!
Attachments
2010_07180007.JPG
2010_07180007.JPG (72.71 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
Chris & Teresa
2010 Sun Tracker Party Barge 20
Mercury 90 4-stroke

"The Pokie Hokie"
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: HI! Brand new here with a brand new Party Barge!

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Welcome, Try to slow down breaking stuff and people, we want you to last a few more years, we all go through some stuff loading and launching but most of us try to spread it out a little LOL.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Welcome
Yep take it slow till you get the hang of it. If you use the lift (sounds like a great find) make sure your toons fits correctly on it.
Let see fire ext, life vests for everyone, current dnr sticker,horn, stay inside fence while underway, an no spitting on the sidewalk. Just don't want to add a ticket while you are learning, sort of messes up your day. Good luck an enjoy
doc

smltooner

#4 Post by smltooner » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:32 pm

Welcome to the club and to Smith Mtn Lake.
What part of the lake are you on.
We are on the Roanoke River at the Waterfront.
A word of advice, when you use the new lift, be sure to lower the bimini top.
You can't beat a SunTracker.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#5 Post by badmoonrising » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:37 pm

Welcome !
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

texaspontoon

#6 Post by texaspontoon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:44 pm

Welcome, I bought a new boat last year and put 200 hours on in one year. But I have the dents and scratches on the boat with failed trailer lights, nav lights and all sorts of little mishaps and issues to go with the 200 hours... so your not alone. (No yellow jacket stings though! OUCH!) :scared

If you leave it at home w/ the cover on it and never use it...it will look great. However "stuff happens" when you actually hook it up to the truck and take it somewhere. We all just hope we make back witout any major mishaps!

But take it easy, enjoy your new ride/lifestyle and try to keep the boat on the trailer (mine fell off the bunks before I had the inside guide on pipes that go inside the trailer rails.) It dang near hit the ground but I was able to save it by putting it back into the water. (long story). :biggrin2

I also recently put 2 month old gas in my boat from some cans that apparently had some water and bad ju ju in the cans. Cost me $400 and an embarrassing tow from a SEA DOO boat back to the ramp. (little boat tows big pontoon boat...the stuff that dreams are made of!) :donno

Enjoy your toon my brother! See if you can beat 200 hours in a year! If you do...I promise you will have 200 memories and 20 good stories to go with!
Sunrises, Sunsets, God and Country, Family and Friends enjoyed on my 2009 25' Voyager Fish and Cruise Dlx w/ Honda 225 (Top speed 42MPH light, from a 150-225 and added lifting strakes)

(Join our forum for Texas toons) http://www.texaspontoon.com

ROLAND

#7 Post by ROLAND » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:48 am

Chris / Teresa...

Welcome to the club... wow, sounds like you got off to a bit of a rough start, but it also sounds like your taking it all in stride. At least no one got hurt too bad... now that you got the rough stuff out of the way, just enjoy your time on the toon with the family. How bout some pics of the boat? And again, welcome!
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Eat'n Float

#8 Post by Eat'n Float » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:16 am

smltooner wrote:Welcome to the club and to Smith Mtn Lake.
What part of the lake are you on.
We are on the Roanoke River at the Waterfront.
A word of advice, when you use the new lift, be sure to lower the bimini top.
You can't beat a SunTracker.

The slip we'll be renting is at R32A....on the big curve. Pretty darn excited about it. :nana We've been lovin' the new lifestyle so far! Owning a pontoon has been a dream of ours for many many years. So great to finally see it realized!

BTW, this is the wife talking. I bought the boat as a surprise for the hubs. He had no idea, just came home from work one day and the kids and I were sitting in it in the driveway. Should've seen his face!

And so far most of the pics we've taken have been of family/friends, cliff jumping, tubing, etc. This weekend we will be sure to actually include the boat in some of our pics & will post! :biggrin2
Chris & Teresa
Mercury 90 4-stroke

"The Pokie Hokie"
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

curtiscapk

#9 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 am

BTW, this is the wife talking. I bought the boat as a surprise for the hubs. He had no idea, just came home from work one day and the kids and I were sitting in it in the driveway. Should've seen his face!

:lol: :lol:

CHRIST! that rocks! :bowdown :bowdown
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

Bill1031

#10 Post by Bill1031 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:55 am

Welcome! Ditto on what SML said about bimini. Great article in Laker a couple weeks ago about people raising boats and walking away and the boat goes thru the roof. That always makes me nervous. All it would take is some kid to flip the switch and would be a mess. Even if they went down with it, the lift when gets to bottom would start back up and there you go! One other thing is to keep your throwable next to you when underway. Big on that at the lake!
We are located at the bridge. We keep ours at Websters. Happy boating and we will keep our eyes out for you! (mean that in a good way :) ) Bill & Lynn
Bill & Lynn
2010 2275 RLI Bennington/ESP
150 Yamaha
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#11 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:39 am

I forgot I haven't said that in a while, yes have a throw-able float with a line on it near the helm, leave enough line so you can reach 20 feet every way.

With the line on it you can pull them in and plus if you miss the throw the you can pull it back quick and throw again, so about 30 feet of light line of 1/8 or 3/16 inch.

Oh and to bad you didn't get pictures of the hubby coming home to that site, that had to make the whole family's day but what a happy surprise that had to be ,COOL
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

margaritaman

#12 Post by margaritaman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:50 am

Chris,
You look like Jesse James in your picture except you are smiling and he has been crying since he got busted by his wife. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

Eat'n Float

#13 Post by Eat'n Float » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:30 am

We always have the throwable. The cap'n actually sits on it. Good idea about attaching the line though, makes sense. I do have a pic of him walking up to his suprise in the driveway, will post it later.
Chris & Teresa
Mercury 90 4-stroke

"The Pokie Hokie"
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Eat'n Float

#14 Post by Eat'n Float » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:32 am

Oh and about the "surprise." That week I thought I was going to throw up. I was so nervous!!
Chris & Teresa
Mercury 90 4-stroke

"The Pokie Hokie"
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Slow Rider

#15 Post by Slow Rider » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Congrats on your new boat.!!!!!!.....have to ask...did you name her and do the ceremony???? Dont bring more bad luck, always name your vessel and pay respects...! There is a quick ceremony on-line...google commander Bob boat naming ceremony!
Now have some fun! We just got our boat 3 weeks ago and are lovin' her (Slow Rider)
Pontoons rock!!! :) :)
SLOW RIDER
Avalon Ambassador 2010
225HP , 30ft
where else but Texas!?