Help with selecting right motor for new pontoon

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bassn386

Help with selecting right motor for new pontoon

#1 Post by bassn386 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:56 pm

The wife and I are considering purchasing a new Bennington 2550RCW with an O/B, but can't find any information on performance for a 200 hp vs. 225.
Another question:
Do we go with 2 stroke (Optimax) or a Yamah Vmax 4 stroke?
I have a 200 Opti on my bass boat and it has been absolutely trouble free since I got it in 2006, but the salesman tells us it is much noisier with the 2 stroke.
We test drove one that had the Yamaha 200 hp Vmax, but it only did about 40 mph at top end.
We live at Lake of the Ozarks and can cover a lot of water in a days time.
Thanks!
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Help with selecting right motor for new pontoon

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:42 pm

Welcome, glad to have with us!!!

Do they offer the E-Tec, it a quite engine and gets good fuel mileage and if you forget to add oil the injector tank, it goes into limp home mode and will run for 6 hours without oil to get you home with no damage to the engine.

Also 2 stokes are lighter engines
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Probably go with the 225 mainly cause it is a 25', I guess. Think either is okay. Me I love the opti great motor. I you have one on your bass boat,I don't have to list a lot of it's attributes. The 4 stroke will be a little quieter but the way the motor is situated makes a diff plus since your opti is an 06 count on it being a good bit quieter than that. I alway look at the tach so I can tell when it cranks so who needs quieter than that. Longer season with the 2 stroke, lighter an probably will equal better top end per hp. Hope they never ban the 2 strokes. Nothing wrong with the 4 strokes but my choice will always be the 2 stroke. Probably get 45 with the 225 opti. Either way check out the enertia prop they do real well on toons.
doc

OldePharte

#4 Post by OldePharte » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:52 pm

Bassn, glad to see another LOTO boater on here.

Go with the biggest HP ya can afford. So your limited to the 2 choices mentioned? Go with the quietest one.
'09 Neptoon Sport 25TT SunLounger w/150 Honda

What happens at the lake stays at the lake. Unless I have my camera handy.