a fish story

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

a fish story

#1 Post by ROLAND » Sat May 24, 2014 10:55 pm

A true fish story.... earlier this evening I ask my wife if she'd like to take the toon out for a ride on the local lake... she says' no.. holiday weekend, too many boaters / drunks on the water.. I agree so we just drive up to the lake to do a little evening fishing off the pier... 20 minutes into our fishing something hits my line... can't tell you what it was because I never really saw it.. only saw the tail as it slapped the water as I was trying to reel it in... tail was approx. 8 inches wide and my wife said she saw enough of the body to see scales... I never actually saw the body, wife did and she estimated it was 15 to 20 lbs.... fought it for about a minute or so and then all of a sudden line went slack.... damn thing busted the line.. oh well.. continue to fish... just before we get ready to call it a night, got my line in the water ( cork with nightcrawler ) and I lean my rod and reel up against the fence so I can open the cooler for a bottle of water... the second i turned my back I hear my rod and reel hit the pier and before I can move the damn fish pulled it into the lake and away it went..... son of a bitch.. .just bought that reel earlier this season... I will never again leave my fishing gear unattended....
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Hawk_308

Re: a fish story

#2 Post by Hawk_308 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:55 am

Nice , sucks about the rod and reel .

It reminds me of a aunt of mine I carried fishing once when I was a teen. She smoked and she would set down her fishing pole to light one up every time she did something would hit her line and by the time she would grab it it would be gone . I caught the rod and reel a couple of times from going out the john boat but never caught a fish .
1988 24' Party Barge pushed by a 75hp cmc trim 17p 4 blade prop

snowbird

#3 Post by snowbird » Wed May 28, 2014 10:11 am

Had something similar happen this past weekend. We were fishing off the back of the boat, I put the rod down to head to the front and get a rag.....pole went flying, banged hard against the inside of the boat, husband grabbed it just before it went overboard. Tried bringing the fish in....line went totally limp, not snapped, brought it in and hook and sinker were gone.......we're thinking Muskie......

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#4 Post by badmoonrising » Wed May 28, 2014 9:49 pm

Happens all the time on the bay (stingrays, sharks and big stripers). One time I brought one of my brother's "citified" friends fishing for spring striper season. My first words to him were "don't fall asleep, if you do, lock the rod in the rod holder." So he falls asleep and leaves the rod holder unlocked :x

A big cow striper hit and the rod took off like a torpedo. :rofl :rofl :rofl
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

REPETE

#5 Post by REPETE » Thu May 29, 2014 7:33 am

badmoonrising wrote:Happens all the time on the bay (stingrays, sharks and big stripers). One time I brought one of my brother's "citified" friends fishing for spring striper season. My first words to him were "don't fall asleep, if you do, lock the rod in the rod holder." So he falls asleep and leaves the rod holder unlocked :x

A big cow striper hit and the rod took off like a torpedo. :rofl :rofl :rofl

:lol3 :happy It's funny now but I bet it wasn't then. I CAN NOT STAND it when I tell "guests" something like that and they don't listen as if they know better or you are just BSing them. Happens ALL THE TIME and it's the main reason we don't even entertain people as much these days at the lake. People that pull that crap we don't have back.
Just verified it on Snopes. Liberals are complete mouth breathing idiots.

I shanked my lover because hoes kept stealing my taco's.

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#6 Post by badmoonrising » Thu May 29, 2014 12:16 pm

Yep, I give people advice mostly so I don't lose gear or for their own safety. Some assholes take it as being ordered what to do. Fuck 'em, those types don't get an invite back.

What annoys me the most is, Cheryl has about as much boating experience as I do and when there's the rare occasion I need help tying up/loading (if the winds pick up), there's always one asshole that insists on "helping", yet fucks everything up. My one brother in law is that type. Now, I tell him to get off the boat and go sit in the car until the boat is on the trailer :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

wwind3

#7 Post by wwind3 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:34 pm

:biggrin2 Couple yrs ago-I was fishing off my boathouse. Laid the rod down--hear a noise-looked up just in time to see my rig eject off the dock like a torpedo. Almost dove in after it--it went about 10-15 feet before I lost sight of it. It was sanding the rails--I figgered a 20 pounder at least :biggrin2

30 minutes later my cork pops up about 25-30 ft to the left of where it went in. I grabbed a rod with a swim bait on it and snagged the line and reeled in rod, reel, and about a friggin 2 pound catfish! wtf! Cant believe he did all that except a blue cat will break your arm when they hit...I now have rod holders.... I have pics somewhere.
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS

bassn386

#8 Post by bassn386 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:37 pm

Most folks can't use my gear because even though I'm right handed, all my reels are left-hand retrieve. I cast with the right hand and can immediately start retrieving with the left hand-good when using top water lures.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

NonHyphenAmerican

#9 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:38 pm

bassn386 wrote:Most folks can't use my gear because even though I'm right handed, all my reels are left-hand retrieve. I cast with the right hand and can immediately start retrieving with the left hand-good when using top water lures.
I'm glad to finally meet someone who fishes like I do.

I can "feel" fish better with my right hand on the rod too.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]