1989 Sun Tracker Party Barge 24DL into Tritoon build

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

abrasivereshaping

Re: 1989 Sun Tracker Party Barge 24DL into Tritoon build

#16 Post by abrasivereshaping » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:44 am

So I've decided to add some more 2-1/2" box tubing to the entire boat. The current Z-bars are on 24" centers, So I think to add a little more comfort...at least in my mind :biggrin2 ...I will add a box tube in between each of the crossbeam sets. Lake St. Clair here in Michigan can get pretty rough and ruthless. In total 8 box tubes, 3 in the back by the motor pod and the other 5 will fill the spacing between the rest of crossbeams. What do you all think?

curtiscapk

#17 Post by curtiscapk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:17 pm

That won't twist!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

PaulinOK

#18 Post by PaulinOK » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:06 pm

abrasivereshaping wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:44 am
So I've decided to add some more 2-1/2" box tubing to the entire boat. The current Z-bars are on 24" centers, So I think to add a little more comfort...at least in my mind :biggrin2 ...I will add a box tube in between each of the crossbeam sets. Lake St. Clair here in Michigan can get pretty rough and ruthless. In total 8 box tubes, 3 in the back by the motor pod and the other 5 will fill the spacing between the rest of crossbeams. What do you all think?
So I'm new to this and these might be dumb questions but they are relevant as I will have to add some braces to mine
How do you plan to bolt the pontoons to the square tubing? Also will you use self tapping screws on the floor?

abrasivereshaping

#19 Post by abrasivereshaping » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31 am

PaulinOK wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:06 pm
abrasivereshaping wrote:
So I'm new to this and these might be dumb questions but they are relevant as I will have to add some braces to mine
How do you plan to bolt the pontoons to the square tubing? Also will you use self tapping screws on the floor?
Paul,
So on my boat, everywhere that has the Z-bars will get an elevator style through bolt. Where I have the box tube I will add the TEK self tapping as needed. The box tubing will get a clearance hole drilled on top for a socket and then the thru-hole into the pontoon riser, so I cant bolt to. The center tube has a full length M-bracket that is t-slotted, I will have to pay extra attention to locate those holes in the box tube.

abrasivereshaping

#20 Post by abrasivereshaping » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:46 am

Ok...so I got my extra box tubes layed out in the rear and across the rest of boat. In the rear transom area, I will have the box tubing on 12" centers to match the original z-bars spacing, which was 12". I then added an additional 5 bars, to fill the rest of the crossbeam sets. Now I have to get the center tube as perfectly lined up as possible and begin laying out all my drill hole locations. I think while I have it down to a skeleton, I may replace all the OE carriage bolts that hold the toons onto the crossbeams. They are corroded real bad.
Attachments
Crossbeam layout with box tubes added.jpg
Crossbeam layout with box tubes added.jpg (172.56 KiB) Viewed 15459 times
Transom crossbeam box tubes 12 inch on center.jpg
Transom crossbeam box tubes 12 inch on center.jpg (150.54 KiB) Viewed 15459 times
Transom crossbeam box tubes added.jpg
Transom crossbeam box tubes added.jpg (165.4 KiB) Viewed 15459 times

sunedog

#21 Post by sunedog » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 am

We spend a lot of time drinking beer at our favorite marina. The dock is set up with cleats on 10 foot centers. That leaves a foot or less between pontoons tied up next to each other. ALL the pontoon boats pull in bow first perpendicular to the dock and tie off tight. Boats that have the center tube sticking out have difficulty tying up to stay straight and not drift against the boat next to you. So I've never been interested in owning one of those.

But I have no information on how extending the center toon out front affects performance. The manufacturer's that do it (like JC) claim it is a benefit. But it can't be much. Otherwise every manufacturer would do it.

Liquid Asset

#22 Post by Liquid Asset » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:09 am

Your project is looking really good! I built a custom tritoon about ten years ago I believe I have a thread about it on here. I had a very detailed rebuild on the pontoon stuff forum but photo bucket made half of the pictures disappear.

The location you have your center log sitting looks good to me. The further back it is the better the boat will turn. Also it allows a larger rear deck. Just make sure you leave enough room for the motor to fully tilt without hitting the deck. On my last boat we ended up cutting the rear cross member and making it notch in a bit over the transom. My Tahoe center log is about 2' past the outter logs in the rear and almost even in the front.

As far as lifting strakes go you can copy what you have though it's probably a custom extrusion. My new Tahoe only came with 4 strakes so I ordered 2 more to weld on this spring. I don't want to talk about how much those pieces of aluminum cost lol. On my last boat I copied what Manitou uses. I was able to buy 1/8" sheet and have it bent at a local shop for cheap. I'd personally run the boat as is and see how you like it.

You mentioned lake St Clair. I made it out there a couple times last summer. Not sure how it going to be with the water even higher this summer. I launch at fair Haven and like to spend the day around harsens . Kids love passing freighters!
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

PaulinOK

#23 Post by PaulinOK » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:45 pm

abrasivereshaping wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31 am
PaulinOK wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:06 pm
abrasivereshaping wrote:
Paul,
So on my boat, everywhere that has the Z-bars will get an elevator style through bolt. Where I have the box tube I will add the TEK self tapping as needed. The box tubing will get a clearance hole drilled on top for a socket and then the thru-hole into the pontoon riser, so I cant bolt to. The center tube has a full length M-bracket that is t-slotted, I will have to pay extra attention to locate those holes in the box tube.
That makes sense, thanks.

abrasivereshaping wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:46 am
Ok...so I got my extra box tubes layed out in the rear and across the rest of boat. In the rear transom area, I will have the box tubing on 12" centers to match the original z-bars spacing, which was 12". I then added an additional 5 bars, to fill the rest of the crossbeam sets. Now I have to get the center tube as perfectly lined up as possible and begin laying out all my drill hole locations. I think while I have it down to a skeleton, I may replace all the OE carriage bolts that hold the toons onto the crossbeams. They are corroded real bad.
Those all looks amazing, I'm curious where you plan on running your wiring? Does anyone run some conduit under the braces?

steve1313

#24 Post by steve1313 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:05 am

Liquid Asset wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:09 am
My new Tahoe only came with 4 strakes so I ordered 2 more to weld on this spring.s!
Liquid-
Are up planning on welding the 2 extra stakes on the outside of the outside toons? When I was boat shopping a few years ago, I had the chance to drive two nearly identical boats (in terms of size, log size, HP, et), One had strakes on the outside of the outer toons and the other didn't. Both had 4 other strakes. The difference in turning was very noticeable. The boat with 4 strakes turned like a sports car. The one with 6 needed a much bigger radius to turn. IMO, those outside strakes did more harm than good. I'll be curious to see how adding 2 more will change your boats handling.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Liquid Asset

#25 Post by Liquid Asset » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:58 pm

Yes I am adding the extra strakes to the outside of the outer logs. It will make my boat the same as the "wave glider" package Tahoe offers. I've driven both and it really depends on the style of strakes. Every manufacturer uses their own extrusion. Some of the best turning boats like Manitou use 6. My boat leans quite a bit already and turns on a dime. It actually turns too good, with the power assist steering I've had a couple of passengers slip out of the seat when towing the tube aggressively lol. I won't mind smoothing that out a bit ! I'm also painting my logs just like my last boat I custom built. The strakes , side keels( option only Tahoe/Avalon offers protects logs from dock posts) and splash guard are getting polished. It makes for a really sharp looking boat. I trailer mine and use sea legs at the sand bar so it is a nice detail. Having the painted logs on my last boat was awesome. It makes cleaning so much easier than bare aluminum.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

abrasivereshaping

#26 Post by abrasivereshaping » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:16 am

Hello All,

Haven't made too much headway with the boat...had my best helper (my son) grind all the rotted screws down and metal finish. I got some aluminum sheared and bent to make lifting strakes on the inboard side of the outer toons. I will TIG weld those on in the next few weeks. We also bought new 316 stainless hardware, to replace all the old rusty originals. :x Covid has put a damper on progress...Hope everyone is staying safe.

Best Regards
Attachments
Grinding old bolts off.jpg
Grinding old bolts off.jpg (127.57 KiB) Viewed 15257 times
finish grinding.jpg
finish grinding.jpg (209.11 KiB) Viewed 15257 times

bansil

#27 Post by bansil » Sat May 02, 2020 10:24 am

Safe :donno going on our social distancing lake tommorrow 80* woop! :alright :alright :alright :mrgreen:

Been working on a bead roller last couple days....the beer-flu has really f---ed up shipping.
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

steve1313

#28 Post by steve1313 » Sun May 03, 2020 5:17 am

Liquid Asset wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:58 pm
Yes I am adding the extra strakes to the outside of the outer logs. It will make my boat the same as the "wave glider" package Tahoe offers. I've driven both and it really depends on the style of strakes. Every manufacturer uses their own extrusion. Some of the best turning boats like Manitou use 6. My boat leans quite a bit already and turns on a dime. It actually turns too good, with the power assist steering I've had a couple of passengers slip out of the seat when towing the tube aggressively lol. I won't mind smoothing that out a bit ! I'm also painting my logs just like my last boat I custom built. The strakes , side keels( option only Tahoe/Avalon offers protects logs from dock posts) and splash guard are getting polished. It makes for a really sharp looking boat. I trailer mine and use sea legs at the sand bar so it is a nice detail. Having the painted logs on my last boat was awesome. It makes cleaning so much easier than bare aluminum.
My Sweetwater has 4 and it turns tighter and more aggressively than my previous Sea Ray bowrider. I've got power assist, too and I really like how I can "snap" it around. I have to warn my passengers too because they'll be on the ground if I don't!

I drove a Bennington with strakes on the outside of the outer toons and I felt like I was driving a 18 wheeler. Nice boat, but I felt like I needed the entire lake just to do a U-turn.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

onlybillhere

#29 Post by onlybillhere » Fri May 08, 2020 7:21 am

The rubber trim circled in the picture:
drilling fence bolts.jpg
drilling fence bolts.jpg (122.2 KiB) Viewed 15200 times
What is that called? I have been searching for this and cannot find it. I have a 95 Party Barge 21 and the trim is gone. I have found all kinds of rubber trim online but none of them are what I need.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

TWB

#30 Post by TWB » Fri May 08, 2020 9:10 am

onlybillhere wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:21 am
The rubber trim circled in the picture:
drilling fence bolts.jpg
What is that called? I have been searching for this and cannot find it. I have a 95 Party Barge 21 and the trim is gone. I have found all kinds of rubber trim online but none of them are what I need.
I've always heard that called the Rub Rail. Who knows whether or not that's right! :donno
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife