1983 Playcraft 28ft Project

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

PaulinOK

1983 Playcraft 28ft Project

#1 Post by PaulinOK » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Hello! So I have this big ole pontoon project and I plan on making it sort of a dual purpose boat, part serious fishing guide quality boat \ family pleasure boat. In the end I plan on having a new 100HP Honda outboard, maybe a tri-toon, maybe just a pod w/fuel and a transom. I plan on making it a center console boat with a 50 gallon bait tank on board (I already have one). I know I need a large livewell (around 80 gallons) but I'm not sure what to build it out of, or where to place it. I also plan on having a loading ramp in front, similar to a ramp on a large uhaul truck. I might make or buy some T-tops but I also need at least one bimini top, maybe two (one in front and one in back of the center console) I wish I could figure a way to have a swim deck like some boats have but as of yet this eludes me. This is all just a general idea of what I have in mind, I'm far from having the cash on hand to make it happen right away. A few more facts some may be interested in, I traded a utility trailer for the boat (had $400 in that) and gave the motor and outdrive away cause it appeared to be locked up, and I have a couple people interested in that big hard top so I should *EDIT* (did get $250) get a couple hundred dollars out of that, making my total investment under $400 (I did drive quite a ways to get it, and had to work on the trailer a bit to get it road ready)
Going forward I ask for any and all advice, and I enjoy checking out you guys boats and builds as well.
Attachments
resizetest3.jpg
resizetest3.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 13804 times
resizetest2.jpg
resizetest2.jpg (854.3 KiB) Viewed 13804 times
resizetest1.jpg
resizetest1.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 13804 times
Last edited by PaulinOK on Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bansil

Re: 1983 Playcraft 28ft Project

#2 Post by bansil » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:58 am

Why get rid of the hardtop? Only to replace it w/t-top and 2 biminis? Build your center console and have a support system (like a t-top) to hold center of hardtop. This will let you remove the 2 center supports and give you a wide open area to fish with only 4 corner supports. If you add 2 biminis you will have a lot less fishable space. And your not going to have an 8ft wide t-top, it would crack the tubes from stress. And that would leave a lot a folks wet with 3 covers not connected or flush to each other.

I would love to have a longer hardtop for our use

Welcome and keep the pictures coming :alright :alright
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

PaulinOK

#3 Post by PaulinOK » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:28 am

On one hand I do really like the hard top for family use, but I do some serious fishing and a t-top would give me some cover without hindering fishing so much (I'd remove the bimini's for a fishing trip). I attached a pic of my last pontoon (with almost no furniture) showing my fishing rods in use. In Oklahoma we're allowed 7 rods per person, and I expect I'll put rod holders all around this new build as well.
Attachments
resize4.jpg
resize4.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 13789 times

bansil

#4 Post by bansil » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:33 am

:happy hory carp that's a lot of rods! Could you not do the same with center console full cover? Taking biminis on and off would be a pain I'd think, unless you are young :mrgreen:

You like fish tacos :beerthought

Got a god fried coating recipe?

What fish you go after?

PaulinOK

#5 Post by PaulinOK » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:16 am

Catfish, specifically blue cats. Just about any mix will work I usually add some cayenne. Bass pro sells some that is good. We do like fish tacos but I prefer to eat it as I fry it lol

I fish all year but the family only likes going in nice weather, my last boat I only had one Bimini and only used it in the summer, often when the sun went down I'd take it off and put it in the back of my truck at the ramp.

To be honest I'm not sure I want any permanent top, but the t-tops could be useful in multiple ways, and when its raining it'd be nice to stand under, plus I have in mind a plexiglass windshield of some sort, still not sure about that.

PaulinOK

#6 Post by PaulinOK » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:22 pm

I've been thinking a lot about how I'm going to build this thing and I have a question for any and all...I'm thinking I'll run most electricity through a fuse panel with a Main Power switch...I've seen so many boats with a ton of connections at the battery and they all have their own inline fuse, is this what most people do?

abrasivereshaping

#7 Post by abrasivereshaping » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:56 am

I could see you doing a tritoon conversion with center console and livewells front and back. Rods racks along the fencing. Maybe the center toon would have storage for rods and tackle...just my .02 :biggrin2

PaulinOK

#8 Post by PaulinOK » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm

abrasivereshaping wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:56 am
I could see you doing a tritoon conversion with center console and livewells front and back. Rods racks along the fencing. Maybe the center toon would have storage for rods and tackle...just my .02 :biggrin2
I like your assessment, hope I can do pretty much that exact idea, one question, does everyone plumb their water supply from the back of a toon or is there another way?

bansil

#9 Post by bansil » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:21 pm

Back of pontoon gives you mount out of water turbulence. An aluminum bracket glued on with 3M 5200, ain't coming off....ever...well, by itself.
The back off tube will join it.

When I get around to ours, I plan 1 big cable fused at battery to a distribution under console. From there to everything else. Only other wire on battery/batteries will be to starter.

curtiscapk

#10 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 pm

PaulinOK wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm
abrasivereshaping wrote:
I like your assessment, hope I can do pretty much that exact idea, one question, does everyone plumb their water supply from the back of a toon or is there another way?
mine's from rear...
Attachments
SAM_2920.JPG
SAM_2920.JPG (253.23 KiB) Viewed 13703 times
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

PaulinOK

#11 Post by PaulinOK » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:56 pm

bansil wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:21 pm
Back of pontoon gives you mount out of water turbulence. An aluminum bracket glued on with 3M 5200, ain't coming off....ever...well, by itself.
The back off tube will join it.

When I get around to ours, I plan 1 big cable fused at battery to a distribution under console. From there to everything else. Only other wire on battery/batteries will be to starter.
I'll have any bracket welded on, but I agree on using a fuse panel.

curtiscapk wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 pm
PaulinOK wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm
abrasivereshaping wrote:
mine's from rear...
Yes that's what I've seen the most, I'll probably use the same thing, just wish I didn't have to plumb it so far as my livewell will be towards the front I imagine.

bansil

#12 Post by bansil » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Now if you want exchange water while stopped and fishing, a tube drop straight down would work.

Maybe a simple 4 ft pc of 1/4x1 metal with a hose and screen that can pivot into the water , so say 3ft under boat 1ft thru floor.
Make the part above deck with an angle in it so when metal/hose/screen etc is flat against bottom of boat handle still sticks up to grab it?
If you need ms paint I can do tomorrow at work on a computer
water pump.jpg
water pump.jpg (20.07 KiB) Viewed 13617 times
make the pivot at the level of the deck

PaulinOK

#13 Post by PaulinOK » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:57 pm

bansil wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:11 pm
Now if you want exchange water while stopped and fishing, a tube drop straight down would work.

Maybe a simple 4 ft pc of 1/4x1 metal with a hose and screen that can pivot into the water , so say 3ft under boat 1ft thru floor.
Make the part above deck with an angle in it so when metal/hose/screen etc is flat against bottom of boat handle still sticks up to grab it?
If you need ms paint I can do tomorrow at work on a computer

water pump.jpg make the pivot at the level of the deck
I've thought about something like this in a couple different ways, one just use square tubing but angle it towards the front of the boat, of course it would only fill when moving forwards ( and you'd have to use a raised inlet tube to keep if from draining the livewell) or two, and much more complicated...also assuming I add a third pontoon, build a pump mount inside the middle log, a small area that would be under the waterline and plumb it up through the log to the livewell....but that's just not feasible really, to many concerns on several levels.

I am designing a livewell box for my boat that will more than likely take water from the rear of a pontoon, will filter said water and also be able to recirculate, aerate and constantly filter, much like my bait tank, but its all just an idea at the moment.

PaulinOK

#14 Post by PaulinOK » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:31 pm

Today I got down to the decking, also tore into it a bit to see how hard taking it down to the bare frame might be, and it looks tedious lol. That back part is fiberglass and I'll have to remove the trailer before I can go to much farther, which brings me to a great question for you guys.... Do you buy something to put under your toons while its off the trailer or build some stands? I was thinking I'd build a couple for the rear of the toons and just use regular jack stands for the front? I'm not sure how much support it needs?
Attachments
resize7.jpg
resize7.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 13585 times
resize6.jpg
resize6.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 13585 times
resize5.jpg
resize5.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 13585 times
resize10.jpg
resize10.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 13585 times
resize9.jpg
resize9.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 13585 times
resize8.jpg
resize8.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 13585 times

bansil

#15 Post by bansil » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:14 am

Heck, seenum sitting on crib blocks, 4x4's and even used tires...stable and level is all you need and the level thing is up to you. As long as a beer can can't slide off...level enough :mrgreen: