New Bimini Top is rather floppy

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Kytoon

New Bimini Top is rather floppy

#1 Post by Kytoon » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:11 pm

So we ordered a new bimini top as the old one had holes and we wanted one a little larger.

It's heavy duty frame and that's great. But the bimini top that originally came on boat was more like vinyl. It was thick and fitted and didn't flop or parachute nearly as much as the new one that is more like canvas. Has anyone learned any tricks for making these replacement tops taught.
1994 Godfrey Sweetwater 20' Fishin Cruise.
Deckmate Furniture (Burgandy/Ivory), 20 oz textured carpet, CCA Treated Plywood,
Toon for comfort & relaxing, Jetski's for speed= day of fun on lakes of KY.

guy48065

Re: New Bimini Top is rather floppy

#2 Post by guy48065 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:52 am

Same issues:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26613

Looks like we have similar boats--and I totally agree with you regarding the very thick OEM top material.
It's likely you would need to have a cover custom made to get that quality today.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

Rick McC.

#3 Post by Rick McC. » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:55 pm

guy48065 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:52 am
Same issues:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26613

Looks like we have similar boats--and I totally agree with you regarding the very thick OEM top material.
It's likely you would need to have a cover custom made to get that quality today.
Actually; that canvas is most likely of much higher quality than the OEM vinyl skin.

I’m sure that you have the frame extended as much as you can. Did you buy a larger replacement top than the size of your frame? If not, most likely the replacement top wasn’t made with the same corner radius that your frame bows have.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

guy48065

#4 Post by guy48065 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:16 pm

Rick the OEM top wasn't vinyl.
More like a high thread count Cordura or Sunbrella, with a different color fabric on the underside.
The replacement is pvc coated polyester, thin enough to see the sun thru the weave.
It suits my needs fine.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

Kytoon

#5 Post by Kytoon » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:52 am

I bought a new frame with top (little bigger size than original). I've tightened it a bit by extending the frame as much as possible. It would be better if sides snapped down to frame in the middle.

I see a lot of floppy tops and parachute bubbles on the lake now that I'm looking. For the price it's ok.
1994 Godfrey Sweetwater 20' Fishin Cruise.
Deckmate Furniture (Burgandy/Ivory), 20 oz textured carpet, CCA Treated Plywood,
Toon for comfort & relaxing, Jetski's for speed= day of fun on lakes of KY.