Harris Float Bote help

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Eagle

Harris Float Bote help

#1 Post by Eagle » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:45 pm

Recently acquired a Harris Float Bote 160A #6783
Does anyone know how to tell the age with the serial#
It was originally powder blue and has the adjustable transom.
The carpet was black and white.
I picked it up from the second owner. He bought it in 1974 and ran it until someone stole the motor in 1984. It was sitting in the water floating next to his dock until I took it out this morning. It was used as a floating table and chair platform next to the dock.
Both logs have water inside. About 1/3 of the log was submerged. No motor. 15 deck boards covered the floor. One has rubbed a Crack in the back about 2" long the other log has a slow drip in the front seam.
Any help removing the 4 white drain plugs without snapping them off.
Also looking for ideas for pumping or suckling the water out after I get the plugs loose.
Suggestions for patching the water entry points.
Tig weld? Aqua mend 2 part putty epoxy.
It will be running a 9.9 hp on a small pond after I replace the deck.
Also the 2 front corners are missing. Square castings that had the navigation lights on top. Replacement ideas?
Thanks to anyone who can help!

steve1313

Re: Harris Float Bote help

#2 Post by steve1313 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:23 am

Eagle-
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've got quite a project boat on your hands. Unfortunately, I can't offer any insight or suggestions, but there are many here who can. Be patient because this forum isn't always super active, but you should get some ideas from fellow members.

Good luck on your project!
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Eagle

#3 Post by Eagle » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:22 pm

So far I have removed the railings and edge trim. Then I removed the deck boards on the floor. Now that I have the pontoons and frame separate from the body I can get at the 4 plastic drain plugs on top of the logs. I soaked them with mouse milk for 2 days. They don't budge. When I turned the square plug with my 9/16 wrench the brittle square twisted off revealing a 1/4 hollow center. When the rain stops tomorrow I will try to drill the center closer to the threads and then get a s close as possible with a dremel.

New at This

#4 Post by New at This » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:35 am

I would try easy stuff first, like a siphon to drain, or one of those pumps that goes on a drill, if you have plugs in the back end of the pontoons, I would try to removing those and let it drain that way. If its on a trailer get the nose as high as you can with the plugs out. We have mig welded some cracks in our boat, used a spool gun for that, has spool of aluminum on the handle as aluminum is to soft to push through the cable feed from the welder.
Good Luck with the project.

Eagle

#5 Post by Eagle » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:00 pm

All of square nuts twisted off the pipe plugs. They are located on top of the logs about 2 feet from the ends. So I drilled the center to enlarge the hole to get a small dremel sanding disk inside. It didn't really sand but I was able to melt the plastic towards the top of the hole and then grab bits away with an angle needle nose pliers. After it was thinned out a bit I grabbed a small propane kitchen torch and melted some more. Like burning the end of a rope. After a few gentle melts I was able to nudge a skinny screwdriver behind the plug and bend it towards the center. A few twisting yanks later the plug was out. Using a guardair pneumatic syphon spray gun 79sg I pumped the water out. Starting the syphon with the gun then detaching the hose I removed about 10 gallons from each side. Nose low on the trailer then nose high. Then I kept the gun attached and ran the air to remove another gallon. A 12 gauge brass shotgun cleaning brush in a cordless drill was used to get some of the pipe dope/ cement mystery stuff out of the threads. Going to use a pipe plug tap tomorrow to clean it up a bit better. Plugs are out and bote is sitting in the sun to dry the remaining water.

Eagle

#6 Post by Eagle » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:19 pm

The top edge of the c channels where the floor touches is showing a bit of rust. Maybe a reaction with the treated deck boards that were sitting on top. The back and bottom of the channel look good. Any suggestions for paint to restore the galvanized channel? Has anyone had luck painting a galvanized surface?