Pontoon lighting

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

OldePharte

Pontoon lighting

#1 Post by OldePharte » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:54 am

I have seen photos of a pontoon that used blue LED rope lighting above the tubes and zip-tied to the underneath side of the deck. He primarily uses it when anchored out.

However, I was toying with the idea of adding rope LEDs to the underneath side of the deck railing to also give me more visibility at night. However, the question arose about the legality of such a setup. I then postulated about using red, green and white, at the appropriate placing and arc requirements.

I will be talking with the local water patrol officers at the next boat show to get their comments. The down side is that our lake is also patrolled, occasionally by the USCG but they never have a booth.

Oooops, this was to be posted under the switch console thread. I'll figure this out sooner or later.
'09 Neptoon Sport 25TT SunLounger w/150 Honda

What happens at the lake stays at the lake. Unless I have my camera handy.

2toytrucks

Re: Pontoon lighting

#2 Post by 2toytrucks » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:14 pm

Not sure as to the legality of it being outside the rails (or under or on the logs) but we have the underseat "mood lighting" on our 'toon and while it is certainly not bright (white colored) it gives enough light to help ilumminate the seats and some of the interior space. It might be the ticket to give you added visibility floating at night while not haveing to worry about the water police. Not sure if I have any pics but will look.
John, Jen, Kim
'07 Parti Kraft Admiral
PKA 220-RE 3 gate
115 Yamaha 4s
Elephant Butte lake
"The coiled snake might seem a strange symbol today. But it was and is effective. No American who ever sees it forgets. "Don't Tread On Me"!

kenny80

#3 Post by kenny80 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:00 pm

Ive been told it is illegal in my state to run with them on. So not being sure I only use them when i'm anchored. Conservation around here don't give warnings!
91 Lowe sunbird 24'
Clinton Lake Il.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#4 Post by lakerunner » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:25 pm

In Oklahoma as long as they don't inter-fear with Nav lights they are ok
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller