Christening ceremony - for new or changing a boat's name.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tuned

Re: Christening ceremony - for new or changing a boat's name.

#16 Post by tuned » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:25 am

I was taught that the un-naming process was critical to avoid bad ju-ju :scared

The boat gets driven a full circle in reverse, stopping at each main compass point and inciting to each of the four wind gods. I can't remember the names, but Poseidon seems like one of them.
I think adding the frolicking, topless women would only contribute to the effectiveness of the ceremony. Especially with FOUR stops. :nana

Then add the renaming ceremony afterwards, that would make FIVE. By then the rum would have rendered it nonstop methinks :drink4 :tassles
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

twoofakind

#17 Post by twoofakind » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:10 am

Didn't do none of this when we renamed our boat...first night out was at Canal Fest when that just storm rolled in!!! We were the bumper for everyone from hitting the rocks. Had to tie off to the pier across the basin for rest of the night. I'm a believer!!!! :bowdown
Fred & Deana
Charlestown, MD
27' Bayliner Ciera (Cruiser)

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#18 Post by badmoonrising » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:18 am

twoofakind wrote:Didn't do none of this when we renamed our boat...first night out was at Canal Fest when that just storm rolled in!!! We were the bumper for everyone from hitting the rocks. Had to tie off to the pier across the basin for rest of the night. I'm a believer!!!! :bowdown

We were rafted up with 30-40 other boats, including "Kokomo". The 60 foot cruiser that's always with us. They are friends of ours. We broke loose and ended up near the rocks at the boat ramp, I got someone's anchor rope in my prop, shut my engine down...I had to get my other raft up neighbor to keep our raft off the rocks. My dinghy flipped over, lost some stuff...found more stuff after the storm and continued to party when the winds died down around 2 AM. :thumbsup
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

twoofakind

#19 Post by twoofakind » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:29 pm

That was a very crazy night. I had to retreave our front anchor by hand. I was in the water at the height of the storm literally standing on the rocks holding the boat away. We were using rafts and life vest whatever we could find as bumpers. The pontoon we were rafted to had lost his back quarter rail which we later found had washed up at loyds months later :alright
Fred & Deana
Charlestown, MD
27' Bayliner Ciera (Cruiser)

ResQChief9

#20 Post by ResQChief9 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 am

33 years in the U.S. Navy and I never did a Christening ceremony like this. Damn .... ...I think this one is MUCH better. Wife might not agree ... but ........... :alright
Terry & MaryLee Chauncey
Aquia Harbour, VA
2012 27' Avalon Deco Sandbar w/200hp SHO Max V6 Yamaha
2010 GMC Sierra 1500
2000 Georgie Boy 35' Motor Home

wiltoole

#21 Post by wiltoole » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:27 pm

The last boat I had that I gave an actual name was a 25" Marathon that I named "Loatin-A-Loan" That was the last "boat" I owned, I've had 5 pontoon's since then and my new Bennington 20SS (90 4 stroke Yamaha)is sitting at the dealer waiting for the Spring to arrive. Since this is my first NEW pontoon, I'm going to give it a name but haven'
to gven it much thought so far.... I will, it's only a matter of time.

wiltoole

#22 Post by wiltoole » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:03 pm

I posted earlier that the only boat I owned that I
actually named was a 25' Marathon which I named,
"Floatin-A-Loan". I've had four pontoons since then and never named any of them. I just purchased my first NEW pontoon, a Bennington 20SS with a 90 Yamaha 4 Stroke and being a boat nut all my life and serving four years in the US Coast Guard as a Boatswainmate, last evening it hit me..... I think I'm going to name my new pontoon......... "Coasty's Dream" ...... no humor, not cute but full of pride. Still have till end of March to change my mind, I decided to leave it at the Dealer over the winter.

abypfcs

#23 Post by abypfcs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:44 am

Having spent my entire working career as either a golf club professional or in golf sales, for me there are "NO BOGIES" when on the water. Thus the name for my Hurricane Deck Boat. The graphic is of a frog swinging a golf club.

My Wife doesn't want me to name the new Bennington Pontoon.

[i][size=85]2014 Bennington 18SFX
Yamaha T60LB
Minn Kota I-pilot 55lb 54"
Lowrance HDS 7
Power Pole Blade
Wash Down System[/size][/i]

Henpecked

#24 Post by Henpecked » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:11 pm

I’m very confused. Do you have a video of a ceremony. I think that would clear the fog.

Puto

#25 Post by Puto » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:38 am

I kinda bastardized and improvised what you guys created here. So, earlier this month, here is the Christening speech I used at a 13-boat raft-off. I had it as a note on my phone so I could read it verbatim.

Keep in mind, everyone had disposable flutes filled with champagne, and Mrs. Puto found a prop house online that sells bottles they use to break over people's head in cowboy movies. It's actually made of sugar. It was about $35. We broke it over the stern where everyone was in the water floating during the raft off. That bit of dramatic flair was very popular. Especially after when we explained we weren't breaking a ton of glass into the lake bottom:

--------------------------------------------------

Today we gather to engage in the ancient tradition of naming a vessel as she embarks upon her lifelong voyage upon the seas.

As Captain I am called upon to christen the new vessel.

Prepare yourself for 7 sips of your drink, one for each of the 7 seas!

We name this vessel (Boat name)!

I ask King Neptune aka Mananna Mac Lir to the Celts and Rey Neptuno to the Spaniards, to bless her and all who sail with her! May Neptune keep all who sail her safe.
Amen

Does anyone need a topping off before I begin the toasting?

I now wish to make a toast:

A toast to the sea! (pour a small bit into the water)
A toast to King Neptune! (pour a small bit into the water)

A toast to the First Mate! (drink)
A toast for the Capt! (drink)
A toast to The (boat name) (drink)
And finally, A toast to all who join us! (finish flute of Champagne).

Bring out the frolicking topless women !