Hydrofin aftermarket foils

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

MattGent

Hydrofin aftermarket foils

#1 Post by MattGent » Sat May 23, 2020 9:29 pm

So my YouTube feed today included an informercial for Hydrofin.

https://youtu.be/vF2M1UUIIPQ

Short on details. Vague claims of performance improvement for any boat. No pricing given here or on the website. Testimonials on the website are from the company owner and their contract engineering firm.

The only thing resembling data is this, buried on the FAQ
For example, our test boat loaded with 1,100 lbs of people and gear runs 19.3 mph at 4,500 RPM’s while burning 15.5 GPH and getting 1.3 MPG. The same boat with same load runs 20.5 MPH at 3,500 RPM’s while burning 8.8 GPH and getting 2.3 MPG. (Test Boat Stats: 24’ SunTracker with a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke). Doesn’t say much without talking about the prop and the rest of the curve.

The hardware looks pretty fancy, and no doubt isn’t inexpensive. And Morelli and Melvin is a serous boat design company.

Foils clearly work and are exploding in racing sailing. Pitch control can be a challenge. Main concern would be fastening to the thin and aged sheet metal log, and hitting debris.

My initial impression is skeptical based on the video and website. I’m curious if anyone knows more about it.

Matt
Last edited by MattGent on Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve1313

Re: Hydrofin aftermarket foils

#2 Post by steve1313 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:56 am

Interesting, but the fact that there "3rd Benefit" is "Unforgettable Memories" is just marketing BS. Really?? So without these on my boat I won't be able to make memories. Come on man!

Could it work? Probably, but I don't know about bolting things to the pontoon that hasn't been reinforced at the mounting points. And drilling holes certainly is a potential source for leaks, etc.

I think the easier solution s a tritoon.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Steiner

#3 Post by Steiner » Sun May 24, 2020 5:01 am

For example, our test boat loaded with 1,100 lbs of people and gear runs 19.3 mph at 4,500 RPM’s while burning 15.5 GPH and getting 1.3 MPG. The same boat with same load runs 20.5 MPH at 3,500 RPM’s while burning 8.8 GPH and getting 2.3 MPG. (Test Boat Stats: 24’ SunTracker with a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke).

They shoulda just tried a new motor. Dry weight on my boat is about 500lbs more than a 24' Suntracker. The F200 running just under 4k pushes it at 25mph and 4mpg with both tops fully open.

Hey Steve, one of those memories would be of your boat warranty!

I have no doubt that such a thing could work on a pontoon .....with a specific test setup made to take advantage of the fixed installation. That's why you have to pretty much have an engineering meeting for something like that rather than it being a As Seen On TV bolt on, and have to prepare yourself for the sticker shock and install. What happens with changing water conditions? What happens when boat loading is moved around or changed? What happens when it causes the prop to position too deep or shallow in the water? Is there a speed at which too much lift happens and the foils start sucking air (i.e. is the speed increase at ONE particular operating range?) Etc.

But man, could you imagine that test boat if they added TAPPFINS?! :biggrin2 :biggrin2 :biggrin2
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:53 am

Steiner wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:01 am

But man, could you imagine that test boat if they added TAPPFINS?! :biggrin2 :biggrin2 :biggrin2
Steiner-
Great Idea!! :lol3 I just ordered the Hydrofin, a set of TAP Fins, and the new Sharrow prop!!!!!!!!!!

I project a new top speed of Infinity and beyond! :thumbsup :thumbsup :mrgreen: :biggrin2
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Steiner

#5 Post by Steiner » Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 am

Man that's a huge chunk of money.....good thing the gas savings will pay for it.

MattGent

#6 Post by MattGent » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:36 pm

Genuinely interested in more pontoon performance I made an email inquiry. I think my boat is too small and not quite powerful enough to gain benefit, but I got no response to technical questions.

Cost is $3200 +$800 installation; apparently they come to you until a dealer base is built up. The fins are bonded onto the hull. They claim to have sold out the first production run, didn’t say how many sets that included. No further performance data was provided.

I’m tempted to build a set on my own as an experiment, but affixed to the cross-members rather than the toon skins.

MattGent

#7 Post by MattGent » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:47 pm

Still interested in foils as a performance boost, and this company still has almost zero data published on their site. But they are apparently selling, the costs are coming down, and they have more offerings.

Currently on Black Friday sale, under $2k for self-install which would be reasonable if you got half of their claimed benefit. I think I’ve used up my boat budget for now but will keep watching.

https://shophydrofin.com/store/

MattGent

#8 Post by MattGent » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:09 am

Still curious, and still skeptical about these hydrofoils.

I’ve found only a couple datapoints with before / after performance #s, and zero about self install or debris issues. Any data seems obscured by prop choice - there’s no way the same prop should be viable for before and after conditions.

By now they should have a pile of results for different boats posted on their website.

Anyways the yearly sales ads have popped up again so I thought to reply here and see if anyone has installed these. $2k for +7-10mph is hard to get any other way.

Steiner

#9 Post by Steiner » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:39 pm

There's only one way to get this out of your system....

Marc K

#10 Post by Marc K » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:57 am

Steiner wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:39 pm
:bowdown
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

riplipper

#11 Post by riplipper » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:10 pm

Might make for a painfully expensive experience for us sandbar folks.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

MattGent

#12 Post by MattGent » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:04 pm

Steiner wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:39 pm
Yeah I get it. It's gonna happen one way or the other but I've got a few other projects higher on the list.

Hydrofin is on black Friday sale again, $2k for self install twin tube kit.

I did a bit of concept design for building my own hydrofoil but that hasn't progressed very far yet. I prefer mounting to the deck rather than the toon skins.

And I just found this: https://pontoonhydrofoil.com/

I like the main foil setup, and mounting to the deck beams. I'm not sold on using the engine for pitch control, especially since I have an open deck and weight moves around a lot. It's also nearly twice the cost of the hydrofin.

The pontoon hydrofoil people at least are publishing some data, hydrofin is still woefully short on actual user data on their site. If they had published a few I likely would have bought it already.

riplipper

#13 Post by riplipper » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:21 am

I get the science, but the problem I see is the support legs rubbing against the tubes in rougher water, eventually that will cause an issue.
I guess you could always weld a small buffer pad on the tube to prevent that.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.