Trailer a Pontoon in rough Weather.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

arieldg

Trailer a Pontoon in rough Weather.

#1 Post by arieldg » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:33 am

Hi everyone
I have a 24ft pontoon, now which before I had 20ft cuddy cabin which was very easy to trailer even in rough conditions, We Purchased our pontoon a year ago, and we just love it.. but the problem I am encountering is trailering her in rough weather or moderate condition seems to be our problem. Trailering the Pontoon in good weather is no problem. But Last week we caught the worst weather off all, and just had to get out of the reservoir. We beached it out and waited until the bad weather pass, but never did and was getting very late. So we attempted to trailer her. my wife was getting frustrated cause the pontoon was not maneuvering where she wanted to go.. it was just going everywhere. The Front end was either drifting hard right or hard left. Each time we take the pontoon, there is always a something new to experience, Learning the proper way to trailer this bad girl is my Quest. what would you have done or what would you have used to maneuver the boat to the trailer. Need your helpful advice and direction from you experts. thanks in Advance.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:26 pm

Pontoon will blow around easy and fast in a clam wind, we have a lot of surface area for the wind to act on, so in a storm it's going to be fun.

If it's a steady wind you can adjust to it, and let it help blow you in position, slant you trailer to one side or another to help loading.

The more you do it you figure out the best to load in different weather, I sure you get a few more good ideals on this as we all of us have to fight it sometimes loading in wind
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Lindsay90

#3 Post by Lindsay90 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:13 am

HandymanHerb wrote:Pontoon will blow around easy and fast in a clam wind, we have a lot of surface area for the wind to act on, so in a storm it's going to be fun.

If it's a steady wind you can adjust to it, and let it help blow you in position, slant you trailer to one side or another to help loading.

The more you do it you figure out the best to load in different weather, I sure you get a few more good ideals on this as we all of us have to fight it sometimes loading in wind
I like what Herb said I also have seen people leave half of the bunks out of water to make it easy to get on.
2003 Fisher Liberty 200

fishmor

Slanting the trailer

#4 Post by fishmor » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:14 am

Herb is right-If you have room on the ramp back the trailer at a slant down wind or down current. You didn't mention if you have guides on your trailer or not. I just bought an old toon and trailer with two uprights on the outside of the logs and I bought some angle iron and a couple of 2x4's and made my own interior guides between the logs like most of the new trailers have. I also did a tongue extension to be able to get the trailer in deeper. Here are the pics.
http://picasaweb.google.com/shootmor/Pontoon
"Usefulness is the true test of value"
"You never own anything, it owns you"
"Be Happy and Do Good" Eccls 3:12

monksblood

#5 Post by monksblood » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:34 am

in windy conditions we usually dip the bunks (lubrication), pull ahead and then leave 1/2 the bunks submerged (depending on the slope). once you get the pontoons sliding up just power up till you can't go no further. you might have to winch it up the last bit. Just keep your hand on the control in case if you have to reverse real fast. If the pontoon swings off the bunks in the back and you get hung up, back the trailer down into the water so that you can float off. Never pull ahead as you will damage your tubes

arieldg

Re: Slanting the trailer

#6 Post by arieldg » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:22 am

fishmor wrote:Herb is right-If you have room on the ramp back the trailer at a slant down wind or down current. You didn't mention if you have guides on your trailer or not. I just bought an old toon and trailer with two uprights on the outside of the logs and I bought some angle iron and a couple of 2x4's and made my own interior guides between the logs like most of the new trailers have. I also did a tongue extension to be able to get the trailer in deeper. Here are the pics.
http://picasaweb.google.com/shootmor/Pontoon
Fishmor; yes I do have guides 4 of them. but during that last traileringl since the wind was just blowing like crazy. the front log actually hit one of the guides dead on and bent the frame.. seeing it was pretty bad, but I just glad the log did not get to damaged, I do like your idea of the 2x4's I think I am going to do the same, cause even with 4 guides sticking up with rollers, your toon can still menuever itself either inward or outward from the guides due to the wind. but with your idea of the 2x4 once you are position you are there.. thank you Fishmore for the great idea...

Toontroller

#7 Post by Toontroller » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:40 pm

One thing I notice is during high winds most often people attempt way too long of approch and end up blowing way off course before getting close to the trailer. We do the same as mentioned wetting the bunks then pulling father out of the water than normal. After the trailer is set I slowly move towards the trailer from the downwind side staying close to the ramp and the trailer moving into the wind. The final move is a hard turn onto the trailer and a quick shot of throttle to get on the bunks before the wind and waves have a chance to push me off the bunks (I also have guides as well and they are very helpful) once on, my wife will start backing under the Toon with the trailer while I keep powering on and keeping the toon straight. This has work well for us.

In other states I am told it is illeagle to power load so make sure you check local laws before trying this method.
1991 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 16
Evinrude 40

Bet I have the shortest Toon on this board also