Water pump to mount on pontoon?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

lakejumper

Water pump to mount on pontoon?

#1 Post by lakejumper » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:46 am

Hi folks,

I'm new to pontoon boats and to this site. It's a great forum! I just purchased the boat in my signature and I'm looking for a pump that I can mount to the rear of the portside pontoon to use for pumping raw water for a live baitwell and to use for washdown. The boat has the livewell tank but no pumps. There is a mounting bracket with 3 holes already on the pontoon. I've done searches on the internet and can't find what I am looking for. I have contacted Godfrey Marine and the local dealer and no one has gotten back to me. Any suggestions on what brands to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lakejumper
2006 Sweetwater 2386 Sport

mike
Site Owner

#2 Post by mike » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:23 am

I think my livewell pump is made by sureflo...

Check it out HERE
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

fishmor

Sorry

#3 Post by fishmor » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:05 pm

A bilge pump which is also used to supply water for bait tanks doesn't put out enough water or pressure for wash down. What you are looking for to pump water to your bait tank is a bilge pump. I don't know how large your bait tank is or how much over flow it has but you would probably be well served with a 500 gal an hour pump. If you get one that is too large the tank can't drain fast enough to keep it from over flowing. Wash down pumps cost lots more and put out a lot more water and pressure.
"Usefulness is the true test of value"
"You never own anything, it owns you"
"Be Happy and Do Good" Eccls 3:12

Toontroller

#4 Post by Toontroller » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:45 pm

Mine had a 500 gph bilge pump as fishmore said. The pump sat on a angle bracket and holds were drilled through the mount an into the bottom of the pump and pop riveted in place w/ two rivets. It's a very simple install.
1991 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 16
Evinrude 40

Bet I have the shortest Toon on this board also

lakejumper

#5 Post by lakejumper » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:32 pm

Thanks for your responses. It looks like the bilge pump will do the job for the livewell and I will install a Shurflo pump for the wash down.

Fritz

#6 Post by Fritz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:40 am

I believe your live well pump mounts under the seat next to the seat where your livewell is. If you look in your battery compartment you can see a big empty space under that seat.
Fritz
Sweetwater 2386 RE Sport
Wichita,Ks

lakejumper

#7 Post by lakejumper » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:48 am

Thanks, Fritz. That's where I will put it.

lakejumper

#8 Post by lakejumper » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:59 pm

I ended up purchasing a Shurflo raw water wash down pump kit that comes with a garden type of hose and fittings. I purchased a 6 gallon water tank and fittings so that I can use fresh water instead of lake water. I am mounting it under the console and running 3/4" with 1/2" inside diameter hose to the front and rear of the boat. I have garden hose fittings to put on the ends so I can attach a coiled hose and sprayer. Now the only problem I am having is what to connect the power for the pump to under the dash. I have two rocker panel (Contura style) switches that I don't think are being used, one for an "Aerator" and another for "Accessory". Does anyone know what wires go to each terminal? I think that it has 6 terminals on the switch. There are wire harnesses already attached to each switch. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they can walk me through it.

Fritz

#9 Post by Fritz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:08 am

Look at how the stereo switch is wired and hook it up the same as that is what I would do.
Fritz
Sweetwater 2386 RE Sport
Wichita,Ks